A small group of newcomers in the mill village of Milstead, Georgia formed a church in 1904 which became Milstead Methodist Church. Over the years the church’s primary benefactor was The Callaway Foundation, who owned the local mill.
In the late 1980’s the Milstead church was in decline and a group of church leaders were “at a critical crossroads” looking for God’s guidance as to the future of the church. At the same time, the United Methodist Church, North Georgia Conference’s Office of Church Development, purchased 12 acres of land in north Rockdale County. They agreed to assist this group of church leaders to build a new church on this property.
On June 16, 1991, Milstead United Methodist Church began meeting as Crossroads United Methodist Church.